Caraway cheese soup could be a new household favorite! Give this unique soup a try, the original recipe hails from Jersey breeders in Wisconsin. There’s so much dairy, it has to be great!
Visit the Jersey Kitchen for more great recipes!
Caraway Cheese Soup
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 3½ cups Chicken broth
- ¼ cup Dry white wine
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 12 oz. Swiss and caraway cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted seasoned croutons
- Cracked black pepper optional
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottom soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and wine, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Decrease the heat to low and add the bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Turn off the heat and stir in the heavy cream. Gradually add the cheese, one small handful at a time, stirring until each handful is melted before adding the next handful.
- Stir in the Worcestershire and ground pepper. If the soup is not hot, return to low heat until warmed through.
- Top with the croutons and, if desired, cracked pepper.