This recipe is perfect for someone looking to try something new. This creamy vegetable barley soup may even be perfect for those office soup making competitions!
Visit the Jersey Kitchen for more great recipes!
Print Pin Recipe
Creamy Vegetable Barley Soup
From the kitchen of Frank Scibelli, Charlotte, N.C.
Prep Time 20 minutes
- Slow cooker
- 1 can Chilli beans, undrained 15 oz.
- ½ cup Frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup Medium pearl barley
- 1 can Fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained 14.5 oz.
- 1 cup Sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup Chopped onion
- 1 Carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 Celery stalk sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp Dried Italian seasoning crushed
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can Low-sodium chicken brother 14 oz.
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 3 cups Whole milk
- ¼ cup Chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Combine the beans, corn, barley, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a 3½ to 5-quart slow cooker. Pour the broth over all and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- near the end of the cooking time, whisk the cornstarch into the milk. Stir the milk mixture into the slow cooker until well blended. (If the cooker is on low, turn it to high.) Continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Tip: This soup is conveniently made in the slow cooker, so you can get it going then go about your day. If you'd like to make it on the stove, saute the onion, mushrooms, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a soup pot for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, corn, barley, tomatoes and broth. Cover and cook until the barley is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch into the milk, then stir into the soup. Let simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the soup is slightly thickened and creamy. Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and cheese. Copyright © Jersey Journal