A very important deadline date for Jersey youth is approaching – March 1.
Two long-standing contests designed specifically for Jersey youth each have their yearly contest deadline on this day. The National Youth Achievement and National Youth Production Contests have each been occurring for 62 years, throughout which hundreds of Jersey youth have received recognition at the annual banquet, along with a monetary prize. More about each of these contests is below.
National Youth Achievement Contest
Follow this link to access the application for the 2019 National Youth Achievement Contest.
- Applicant must (1) own one or more Registered Jerseys™, (2) be at least sixteen (16) and be no older than twenty (20) years of age on January 1, 2019 and (3) be a member (junior or lifetime) of the American Jersey Cattle Association not later than December 31, 2019.
- Eligible by Previous Ranking: Any person ranked second through tenth in the previous year’s (2018) National Jersey Youth Achievement Contest who meets ownership, age and membership requirements is eligible to apply.
The remainder of the application instructions can be found on the application. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact our office.
National Youth Production Contest
Follow this link to access the rules and application for the National Jersey Youth Production Contest.
Eligibility is as follows:
- You have been no younger than nine (9) and not older than 20 (inclusive) on January 1, 2019.
- You must be a member (junior or Lifetime) of the American Jersey Cattle Association on or before March 1, 2020.
- Cows must be recorded by the American Jersey Cattle Association in the Herd Register or with Generation Count 4 or greater.
- Lactation records must be completed between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- Records must have a Data Collection Rating of at least 90.
- On or before the cow’s freshening date and through completion of the lactation, you must be listed as the Recorded Owner on the registration certificate, either (1) as the sole owner or (2) by your name in joint ownership. If the joint ownership includes more than one junior eligible for this contest, the entry will be made in the names of the eligible junior co-owners.
- You may submit NO MORE THAN three (3) records. The highest ranking record within age division will be used.
- Previous Overall Winners of the contest are not eligible.
More details about entries and records can be accessed at the link above.
Results of both contests will be announced in the September 2020 issue of the Jersey Journal. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the USJersey office at 614-861-3636 and ask to speak with the Communications Department.