French Onion Grilled Cheese is a great way to add some spice to the way you enjoy a cheesy sandwich! We encourage you to try this twist on a grilled cheese!
Visit the Jersey Kitchen for more great recipes!
Print Pin Recipe
French Onion Grilled Cheese
From the kitchen of Ali Slagle at https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020107-french-onion-grilled-cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow or Vidalia onions peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sherry, red-wine or white-wine vinegar (optional)
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread, cut no wider than 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cover and Cook, sitting once or twice, until the onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes. If the onions look dry or like they might burn, add a few tablespoons of water at a time, scraping up any browned bits tar are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. If desired, once the onions are done, deglaze the skillet with vinegar and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet, or wash it, if necessary
- Add the cheese to the onions and stir to combine. Put down two slices of bread, and scoop half of the cheese-onion mixture onto each one. Top with the remaining slices of bread, and press down gently.
- In the skillet, milt 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, reducing the heat to prevent toast from darkening too quickly, if needed. Add the remaining butter, flip the sandwiches, press down and cook until the cheese has fully melted and the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2019 Jersey Journal